Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Results are In

My food allergy blood tests came back! The only thing I really can say is "WOW!" Here is my comprehensive list of foods I reacted to:
  • Casein
  • Egg White
  • Egg Yolk
  • Milk
  • Pork
  • Halibut
  • Mackerel
  • Shrimp
  • Blueberry
  • Grape
  • Barley
  • Lentil
  • Navy Bean
  • Soybean
  • Ginger
  • Malt
  • Almond
  • Pistachio
  • Sesame
  • Sunflower
  • Celery
  • Mustard
The worst reactions for me were egg whites, milk, pork and mustard.

When you first look at this list, although long, you think, "Well, probably not so bad." This still means I can eat fairly normally while enjoying dessert. Not quite!

It's hard to grasp, but eggs and milk are in everything. Pork will be easier for me. And mustard? Who would've ever thought? Apparently, though, Mustard is now the 4th most common food allergy in children. (Mustard powder, salad dressing, mayonnaise, soups, sauces.)

I will be beginning a long process of "ridding my body" of these foods. Starting Monday, I will begin a 4-week process of limiting the foods that I reacted most to: Dairy, Eggs, Pork, Halibut, Soy, Almond, Pistachio, Sesame (and tahini), Sunflower, Mustard, Ginger and Malt. I must really focus on these to begin with. I have to "(re)teach" myself how to shop and what products I can/cannot buy.

I will then take a week off - to rest and relax (because we are going on our honeymoon!)

The Monday I get back, then, is the real deal. All 22 items will be nixed. I will need to remain near perfection with my eating. No mistakes. Only healing for 4 weeks.

When that is over, it will be time to start the re-introducing process. We will monitor my progress and see what I may be able to add in. Perhaps something like the blueberries, which I had a lower reaction to.

And during it all, I will be taking nutritional supplementation. I believe I have only the best!

My nutritionist said to me today - "The foods you currently eat are so healthy - but just not for you." It goes back to the quote I said yesterday, "What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others."I guess I am an example of this. And that's okay with me, as long as I'm able to finally feel better.

My hope is that through this blog I can show others that they, too, can feel better through proper nutrition. There is no reason not to be 100% day-in and day-out. And there is also no reason to believe that medication and doctor visit after doctor visit is always the absolute "cure." I believe that sometimes we all just need to step back - take a look at our lives. How do we treat ourselves? How do we treat our bodies? Do I care enough about Me to begin this journey?

I believe that on Monday, April 13th, I will be ready.....finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment