Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Rundown - Food: Past, Present and future




I am an extraordinarily passionate person. My passion carries over into every aspect of my life. Naturally, then, about 5 years ago when I started to have "mystery symptoms" I became passionate about finding out what was going on.

This led to my passion of food. Then again, who isn't passionate about food, right? Food is not just for survival - it's for pleasure and is a "social event.""What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others." - Lucretius
I had a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy 5 years ago; my problems mostly began after that. I have all stomach and oral problems. I have gone to multiple doctors and dentists, only to be put on more medication, given more tests and no hope. No one knew what was going on and most just thought I was crazy.

It was about 3 years ago, then, when I decided to do a 21-day detox diet from January 1-January 21. I was eating plain as plain can be and no: Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Sugar. By about the 2nd week, magically, everything went away! However, because I was not connecting any of this to food, I went back to eating normally and everything came back. A few months later, it was a dentist who said, "Maybe you have some sort of food allergy/intolerance."

I have devoted my life to it ever since.

But let me say - it is not easy!

Food to me, over the past few years, has been more of an A.R.T that I have tried to slice and dice with all the ingredients, facts, labels - deciphering and writing every last thing down. I have journals and more journals on daily intake combined with noticed symptoms. And it has almost gotten me nowhere. I can go through periods where I'm "really good," but even then, I may have something and there are 30 ingredients in it. The continuous cycle goes on and on.

I've tried to just live normally. My husband and I went into San Francisco a few weeks ago to a dinner. It was amazing! One of the courses was a Black Ink Squid. This was my favorite course!




And while, for most people, this was wholesome and delectable, for me, it probably was that fierce poison.

So I got myself a Holistic Nutritionist. I am at the point in my life where I'm tired - tired of these "food games," and moreso tired of these "journal games." I'm bound and determined to learn "food" to learn the A.R.T of Food once and for all.

I need to learn what works for me, what food is really all about, what ingredients are really all about and mostly - "Cut the Ingredients. Clear the Clutter. Simple. Zen."

My food allergy/intolerance blood tests are in today. Today I should be able to finally "begin my journey."

No comments:

Post a Comment