Monday, March 8, 2010

14 Miles and a Pedicure

Yesterday I ran 14 miles!

This is the furthest distance I have ever run (2nd beind the Nike Women's Half Marathon). This was an accomplishment for me.

Sometimes, though, accomplishments go without feeling 100%!

nike,nike plus

That is what my run looked like. I made great time (probably went too fast for a long run) and stayed fairly consistent (especially during the last half). I have great physical energy when I'm out there running that far. I feel like I could run forever. But my problem is that my legs and my feet get so achy and sore. The second I stop (at a stoplight or to tie my shoe) I feel like I'm going to fall apart.

By the time I was to mile 10 or 11, it took all the mental power I had to keep plugging through it. Part of my problem, too, is that I am in desperate need of new running shoes. I have trained way too long with my Nike+ LunarGlides because I love them. But it's time for a new pair!

In the end, I did it! And that's what I believe is so powerful about long-distance running. We train our minds to accept, to endure and to finish anything!

I am trying to research more and learn as much as I can about what to do "post-long runs." After this run, I drank a ton of water. And I had a cup of cafffeine, as I've read numerous times that caffeine helps with post-recovery. As soon as I got home, I iced my legs and I used the Lacrosse Ball. Later in the day, I went out and got myself a Pedicure at Jellyfish Spa in Danville, CA! It felt so great and refreshing. And my toes look splendid again, don't you think?
Photobucket

Before I went to bed, I iced more, and I did the Lacrosse ball all over my legs and feet. It was painful - very painful! It had to be done.

When I woke up this morning, I felt a little stiff and sore. But feeling this way reminded me that - I did it! I'm still alive and I'm just one step closer to completing my first Marathon. But first things first....mentally preparing for the 16 miles I have this upcoming weekend! Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Great run! It sounds like you are doing everything just right, with the post-run hydration, icing, etc. Congratulations on your longest run to date. And yes, the toes look magnificent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me, Sarah. Best of luck with your training. I look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete