Saturday, July 17, 2010

Gluten Free, the (only) way for Me

I am making an absolute, 100% commitment to ME to be completely Gluten Free. Here's how/why I've come to this conclusion.

How
I see my 20-40 feet of intestines as an "upper" and "lower" half, which they are. This is why doctors do Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. Endoscopy for upper and Colonoscopy for lower. I have problems in both. The difference is that my prior doctor only discussed my lower problems and told me to cure with medications and that I could still eat whatever I wanted and my new doctor has first focused on my upper problems and is helping me (mostly) via food recommendations.

So the new doctor has found a lot of inflammation in my stomach and esophagus so far. And he knows that I get severely bloated and distended. He also knows that me off gluten makes my upper problems disappear. Thus, the first thing he suggested - adios wheat/gluten!

I am confident that the wheat/gluten is the 100% cause for my upper digestive problems. As for the lower, I am still working on this. I am headed in the right direction, but (the lower) is not to the place I want it to be. 

Why
If the "how" didn't explain enough of the "why," then perhaps you've never felt even a slight bloat in your life and you just simply can't relate. Be Thankful!

There is not a day that goes by when I am "upper-bloat" free that I don't thank God! So many times lately I've been having these "mental blocks" where I feel like any moment I may bloat up again. My brain is remembering the past several years of constant discomfort. It's almost like some post-traumatic stress, and I clearly need to reverse those thoughts.

Couple linking pinky fingers, close-up of hands
The only way I know how to take care of those lingering issues is to make a pact with myself to be completely, 100% Gluten Free because each day I'm not faced with an "episode" is yet another day of building confidence.  

Will this be easy? No! Will I cry sometimes, as I already have? Sure! Will I want to re-think this pact? Most definitely! But will doing this make all the difference in my life? Absolutely!

4 comments:

  1. in danville there is a Gluten Free cupcake shop you should check it out the person in charge is on a gluten free diet as well so she may have some tips for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Miglets! I am trying to meet with them. I'd love to do a feature of them on my Blog. Oh, and purchase a cupcake or two:) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a lot easier to be gluten free these days than in the past. Many more products on the market. I have been gluten free for years! You have the strength to do it girl!!

    ReplyDelete