Sunday, August 16, 2009

That's Just Bananas

Day 126.

Day 14 with Gaps.

I had a GREAT run today in Danville with my Nike Running Group. It felt amazing.

My stats for today were:
Total Miles - 10.4 miles
Total Time - 1:29 and 59 seconds
Pace - 8:39

It is so much fun to track this all with my Nike+ SportBand and then uploading to my Nike+ Webpage. It's super addicting, actually! It's one continuous competition with yourself - keeps me on my toes!

And so I had a great run today. Fabulous! BUT....the reason I think I did is twofold:

1. Bananas
2. My 6.5 mile-point PowerSong

Bananas - By now I'm sure you probably all know that I'm on the GAPS Diet. Two weeks in and I'm still feeling fabulous; completely on top of my "food/tummy game!" The only problem with this is that the lack of carbs can make my running a little more challenging. Cleaning out my gut and feeling better put me ahead, but being able to have a little carb would help out even more. So I turned to Mr. Banana! And Mr. Banana has come to my rescue! So here's the deal with Bananas for me. They are not all created equal.

Photobucket

According to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD and the GAPS Diet, "Fruit should be ripe as unripe fruit has too much starch. For example, bananas have to have brown spots on their skins." And when it comes to food for the GAPS Diet, I heed her advice. I eat a level 6 or 7 banana.

And here's another thing about Bananas:
"Bananas provide an energy boost. Carbohydrates are the body's main source of energy. Bananas contain more digestible carbohydrates than any other fruit. Carbohydrates replace glycogen (stored glucose), which is used as fuel for the muscles. It is important to replenish the muscle glycogen after exercising to prevent fatigue. Both the fructose and glucose in bananas are easily converted to muscle glycogen. Bananas are grouped with foods that have the highest glycemic index, meaning their carbohydrates are among the quickest to move into the system."

Thus, because of this great "stored energy" I ate one yesterday around 3pm and another before bed and then finally one before my run.

I am so excited that I have found my first way to manage the GAPS Diet with my running for more energy, heart and soul!

Rollin' - My PowerSong at mile 6.5 today! I just "kept rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin'." Add it to your list and watch how the beat in your step becomes amped!

Here is what I ate today (no new additions):
  • Chicken
  • Avocado
  • Magic Mineral Broth
  • Ground Turkey - slowcooked
  • Raw Sauerkraut, Raw Vegi-Delite, White Miso
  • Artisana Raw Walnut/Cashew Butter
  • Coconut Milk Tonic (100% Pure Coconut Water - Vita Coco, Coconut Milk & 1 tsp Organic Vanilla Extract)
  • Cooked Carrots (then mashed) with Ghee & Honey (probably only 1/2 c. or less)
  • Banana * 2
  • Broiled Wild Salmon + Lemon
  • Red Wine
I made sure to take my Probiotics, HCL, Enzymes and Fish Oil today.

Tomorrow is the begging to a brand new week!

No comments:

Post a Comment