Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Great Energy, Not-so-Great Stomach

Day 45.

Great energy today, but unfortunately, not-so-great stomach!

I attribute the increase in my energy to the vitamins and supplements I take. I read an article today called, "Warning: Potentially Life Threatening Vitamin Deficiency Affects 25% of Adults." You can find the entire article here. The article is about B12 deficiencies.

I am not B12 deficient, but Leah said that a good B Complex vitamin would really benefit me. She said it would help a lot with my energy levels, too. I have noticed an overall difference already.

When looking for a "good" B vitamin, though, it's very important that you find one that has "methylcobalamin" vs "cyanocobalamin." And here is why:

"It should be obvious that there are certain advantages inherent in taking methyl B12 as a supplement, versus 'ordinary' B12. For one thing, methyl B12 doesn't have to engage the body's resources to convert it into coenzyme form, it's already there. Even more important is the fact that methylcobalamin is the most highly reduced form of vitamin B12 possible; this makes methyl B12 a very potent reducing agent (antioxidant) indeed. In a body undergoing oxidative stress -- for example from a disease process or from a diet deficient in antioxidants -- it's possible that methyl B12 production can become impaired."

My stomach, unfortunately, was not-so-great. It wasn't until 7:30pm tonight that I went to the bathroom. And this is a problem because it's been since Sunday morning! Not good! After lunch my stomach just felt twisted and more bloated. And this is why I did hard HIIT cardio tonight!

I definitely have a love/hate relationship with what the hard cardio does to my body when my stomach is not right. I love it that cardio, especially extremely intense cardio, can get my system moving. The problem with that, though, is that even though I'd like to say "I completed a half marathon," I realize that I may never get to that point. My system starts "working" after about 20-40 minutes of hard cardio. Even at 40 minutes into a half marathon, I would not even be 1/2 way through. It's painful to stop. And it's frustrating and embarassing.

Other than the energy and stomach today, my mouth was pretty great all day. It was about a 2/3 for most of the day, until after my workout - it was then about a 6/7. Odd!

Here was my day:

Breakfast

  • Nutribiotic Vanilla Rice Protein Powder with Unsweetened Rice Milk, Flax, and Stevia
  • 1/2 Fruit Fusion Bar (Dried Apple and Cranberry)
  • Small coffee with Coconut Milk Light
Snack
  • Orange
Lunch
  • Turkey from Whole Foods Salad Bar
  • Olive Oil
  • 3 lettuce mix
  • Organic Apple
  • Ancient Harvest quinoa pasta (Garbanzo beans, cinnamon, red peppers)
Pre-Workout
  • Lean Turkey Burger (lean turkey, cumin, garlic, sea salt, pepper)
Dinner
  • Organic Rainbow Carrots
  • Dried Banana
  • 3 Lettuce
  • Fish Oil + Spirulina + Sea Salt
  • Wild Salmon Burger
Snack
  • Orange
  • Unsweetened Applesauce

No comments:

Post a Comment