Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Another Struggle Day - Maybe the Blood Tests Help Explain

Day 10.

No one said this was going to be easy.

I did everything right today for lunch today at The Cheesecake Factory. Everyone else there got the most eye-pleasing, delectable-looking food. I refrained. I got water to start. And with my water I got a big salad - but all it included was: Romaine Lettuce, Radicchio, Cucumbers, Asparagus, Green Beans and my homemade dressing (yes I'm crazy and brought my own).

Within about an hour or two of eating, though, I did not feel good. I looked pregnant, again, as I tend to look when I get bloated. I felt bloated, super gassy and just twisted. (I like that word "twisted" in reference to my stomach - I use it a lot.) My mouth has annoyed me again all day today. I've been fatigued. My mouth started to subside right before bed, although, I got very sick with everything going through me.

Anyways, let me explain the blood tests I got and what they mean. I think it helps explain why I can never understand how I eat a clean and healthy one meal and afterward I don't feel so well.


"The Allergix family of test profiles includes IgG4 food antibody profiles that can reveal food reactions due to intestinal permeability (leaky gut) issues. Because they are distinct from IgE-mediated allergies, we describe IgG4 effects as "food sensitivities." The profiles measure levels of IgG4 antibodies that provide the clinician and patient with useful data to design appropriate diets that exclude the offending foods. IgG4 antibodies are associated with delayed hypersensitivity reactions, which are the most common-yet most difficult to detect-type of food reaction. These delayed or "hidden" food reactions can cause a variety of chronic symptoms. Since IgG4 reactions occur several hours or even days later, there may be no obvious association between consuming a food and an adverse reaction. Food IgG4 levels increase in response to the presence of the food antigens that penetrate a weakened intestinal barrier and enter the bloodstream particularly with commonly eaten foods (e.g., corn, wheat, dairy, and egg). IgG4 antibodies combine with specific food antigens to form food immune complexes, which cause the problems associated with delayed allergic responses. The complexes can cause inflammatory reactions at various sites in the body, including the small and large intestines, skin, kidneys, ears, sinuses, head, lungs, and joints."

This is my frustration. I feel as though I'm doing everything right. When it all falls down, though, I don't even know where to look for an answer or what I could've done. I have food journals, but I thought they were all foods that should be OK with my system. Leah says that this is just going to take time-a lot of time. I'm trying so hard to be patient. It's precisely that - so hard to be patient. It's only day 10, but I've had a few good days - hopeful days. But on days like today I wonder...is there ever going to come a time when I am continuously symptom-free?

Here was my day:

Breakfast

  • Nutribiotic Vanilla Rice Protein Powder with Unsweetened Rice Milk, Spirulina, Aloe Vera, Fish Oil, Mango and Stevia
Snack
  • Organic Carrots
  • Organic Apple
Lunch
  • Romaine + Radicchio + Asparagus + Green Beans + Cucumbers + Sea Salt
  • Homemade Dressing (ACV + Olive Oil + Cinnamon)
Snack - Pre-Workout
  • Organic Apple
  • Raw Walnuts
  • Grilled Chicken
  • Organic Baby Food - Winter Squash
Snack - Post-Workout
  • Orange
Dinner
  • Salmon
  • Spinach + Arugula + Garlic + Lemon
  • Quinoa + Sea Salt
  • Dried Bananas
Tomorrow is Day 11 - I have hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment