Friday, April 17, 2009

Out-and-About Problems

Today is Day 5!

It was a gorgeous day today in Northern California!

My Mom and I had such a fun day! We went for an hour walk, and then we spent a ton of time at Anthropolgie! Ryan's cousin always says that you get what you pay for in candles - Anthropologie has the best! We, of course, bought some.

We were out-and-about all day, which means out-and-about eating! Green Tea with lemon at Barista's. Spring mix, peas, cucumbers, asparagus and olive oil + grapefruit at Draeger's. Red Vino. Spring mix, dried cranberries, candied walnuts and olive oil at The Boardwalk.

Simple - or so it seems. Three problems with going out to eat: 1. You can never truly know if something has been added. 2. The wait staff is always annoyed by the high-maintenance attributes you possess. 3. Everyone around you is eating burger and fries. You smell it. You want just a bite. You cannot have it.

I am very happy with the choices I made today. I worry some about the "what has been added" to my food. Going out to eat is definitely not as pleasurable anymore. I wonder what I will feel like tomorrow. I pray that it's not bad.

Here was my day:

Breakfast
  • Organic Steel Cut Oats, Nutribiotic Vanilla Rice Protein Powder with Unsweetened Rice Milk, Spirulina, Fish Oil, and Stevia
  • Green Tea with Lemon
Lunch
  • Spring Mix
  • Cucumbers, peas, asparagus
  • Olive Oil
Snack
  • Red wine
  • Raw Walnuts
  • Organic Apple
  • Dried Bananas
  • Organic Raw Carrots
Dinner
  • Spring Mix
  • Candied Walnuts
  • 2 Glasses Red Wine
  • Dried Cranberries
  • Wild Salmon Burger (I was still hungry when we got home!)
Going out for lunch or dinner is such a common thing. There is nothing bizarre or unusual about it. Yet, for anyone who suffers from food allergies, it's a big deal to go out to eat. For the average person who is, say "dieting," they can just "order of the healthy menu." It's what I used to do.
  • "Dressing on the side."
  • "Hold the cheese."
  • "Cottage cheese and fruit instead of fries."
  • "Mustard instead of mayo."
The end. Not so much anymore. I can't have any of that! And that's hard. And that's frustrating. But, it is what it is. And at the end of the day, if I stick to it, commit to it and devote my lifestyle to it, then eventually it will just be second nature. It won't seem like such a "chore." And I'll feel good - much better than any split second of satisfaction that a burger and fries will give me!

No comments:

Post a Comment