Thursday, April 16, 2009

Oh where or where is my gum?

Day 4!

Today has been better. I am still very tired today, but I only got 5 hours of sleep last night, so I guess fatigue is to be expected. My dark circles under my eyes are still there. My stomach is a little twisted still; probably not as bad as yesterday. My mouth is not as bad as yesterday, either.

I had emailed Leah yesterday, complaining about all of my weird and awful symptoms. Among many other things she asked me and told me about she said, "Quick question...are you off of the "unnatural" gum yet? I have a feeling the gum could be contributing to your bloating and gas. I looked at the ingredients online...yikes! Please stop :)" I reassured her that I have not had my "unnatural" gum since Sunday!

However, I was absolutely addicted to that gum! Orange-flavored Trident. Probably the gum I've ever had in my life. BUT - it's terrible for you, as far as what's in it. I, in particular, can no longer have it because there is Soy Lecithin in it. I always wondered about this funny-named ingredient, Soy Lecithin. I wondered if it was actually soy or if it was just another crazy chemical. Turns out - both. Leah gave me this wonderful article about it! Read up!

In addition to Soy Lecithin, here are the other nasty ingredients in it: Sorbitol , Gum Base , Xylitol , Natural and Artificial Flavoring , Mannitol , Glycerin , Aspartame , Acesulfame Potassium , Yellow 6 Lake , Yellow 5 Lake , Yellow 5 , Yellow 6 , Red 40 , Blue 1 , BHT - to Maintain Freshness .

Needless to say, I decided to make the switch to natural gum. I now chew the Glee Gum. It's a great gum! Go get yourself some at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.




Here was my day:


Breakfast

  • Nutribiotic Vanilla Rice Protein Powder with Unsweetened Rice Milk, Spirulina, Fish Oil, Banana and Stevia
Snack
  • Organic Carrots
  • Organic Apple
Lunch
  • Organic spinach and zucchini
  • Organic Romaine Lettuce
  • Raw Walnuts
  • Homemade Dressing (Olive Oil + Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar + a pinch of Cinnamon)
  • Organic Winter Squash Baby Food
  • Organic Apple
Snack
  • Raw Walnuts
  • Organic, Corn Tortilla
Dinner
  • Quinoa pasta with Homemade Argula-Pesto Sauce (a fabulous recipe Leah gave to me!)
  • Grilled Chicken
  • 2 Glasses Red Wine
  • Dried Bananas
My Mom is here, so we went for a nice, long walk tonight with the dogs. We ate our wonderful dinner, drank some great wine and relaxed.

Today was definitely a better day than yesterday was. We'll cross our fingers for Day 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment