Monday, June 1, 2009

How Many Calories in a Day?

Day 50.

I have been asked numerous times since I began writing this, "How many calories in a day do you eat?" I think that whether or not you have food allergies and whether or not you watch what you eat, it's a common question everyone asks..."How many calories should I eat in a day."

First, I will say this...bottom line is that everyone knows how much/what they should eat in a day. It's a matter of doing it.

There are many different theories out there on what to eat, when, how much, etc. You can:
  • Count your calories
  • Count your points via Weight Watchers
  • Watch your carbs
  • Watch your fat
  • Don't eat Carbs with Fat
This list could go on and on and on...

For me, though, I pretty much eat what I want and when I want (of the foods I can eat). And that's the secret for me! When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm full, I stop. I don't eat the foods that don't like my body because not only will they make me feel bad, they also make me retain weight. I stick to eating very lightly overall. I would say I eat mostly protein, veggies and good fat and some carbs. I don't eat junk food, at least not on a daily basis. I don't allow myself "a little treat everyday to take the edge off." That "little treat" would become another and another and another. When I work out, I allow myself more food (more quality food). When I don't work out, I don't get to eat more. One day a week I don't pay attention to anything - I'll eat a "treat" if I want, but still within the food guidelines that I can have.

Calorie-wise, I'd say I eat between 1,300 - 1,700 calories a day, depending on the day. I'm not saying this is completely right or completely wrong, but because I've eliminated the foods that don't agree with me & the processed foods I shouldn't have been eating in the first place, this works for me! I eat more now than I did before and I've lost weight.

Think about this for yourself. How many calories do you eat in a day? Or even better yet, how many quality calories do you eat in a day? If you follow, "Clear the clutter. Cut the ingredients. Simple. Zen," I guarantee you will not need to ask yourself that question anymore. It all just becomes easy.

I felt pretty good today. My mouth was probably a 5/6. My stomach rumbled post-lunch. I'm not sure what that was all about. I did take 2 digestive enzymes at lunch, though. I think something this weekend may not have agreed with me. My energy was high today. I had a great workout because of it. I'm still super sore from Saturday's leg workout. I still am having troubles walking!


Here was my day:

Breakfast

  • Nutribiotic Vanilla Rice Protein Powder with Unsweetened Rice Milk, Coconut Milk Light, Flax, Banana and Stevia
  • 1/2 Fruit Fusion Bar (Dried Apple and Cranberry)
Snack
  • Organic Apple
  • Sweet Apple Chicken Link
Lunch
  • Extra Lean Turkey Burger (everything as last week + cilantro)
  • Spring Mix + Olive Oil + Sea Salt
  • Ancient Harvest quinoa pasta (Garbanzo beans, cinnamon, red peppers)
  • Spinach, Cucumber, Garlic & Mexican Gray Squash (all steamed)
Pre-Workout Snack
  • Orange
  • Extra Lean Turkey Burger (everything as last week + cilantro)
Dinner
  • Organic Apple
  • Spring Mix
  • Fish Oil + Spirulina + Sea Salt
  • Wild Salmon Burger
  • Unsweetened Applesauce
My girlfriend, Kristi, from back home sent me this quote today....it was a nice way to end my end - I hope it's a nice way to end yours as well!

"Champions aren’t made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them—a desire, a dream and a vision." ~Muhammad Ali~

No comments:

Post a Comment